YIAYIA'S BAKLAVA ROOM SPRAY
[The room spray with a cult following]
Syrup-soaked spices and nuts meet crisp filo pastry and generational philoxenia.
Almost as warm as a hug from Yiayia herself.
"I had been to Greece before [you know, the trip everyone does - island hopping and drinking until the point of dreading the next day's ferry] but I never fully experienced Greece until 2018. My ferry had a small issue which meant I needed to stop on the island of Tinos for a night - a quaint Cycladic Island known for its churches.
I sat at this small kafenio [café] near the port to skype back home and complain about my lay over. As I finished my sook about Tinos and how much of an inconvenience being there was, I looked up to see the Kafenio's Yiayia walk straight towards me. My stomach dropped. She looked me dead in the eyes and said - I should be offended that you sit here in my family's shop and complain but instead, I will change your mind about our beautiful island.
The Yiayia [who insisted I call her that by the way - Yiayia], brought me plates and plates of food as we shared stories. What stood out to me was the plate at the end - her Baklava. Equal parts spicy and sweet - abit like her really.
It was on Tinos and because of Yiayia that I learnt what Philoxenia is - a sort of sacred bond between host and guest. Something that there is no English word that serves as a fair equivalent but something that Yiayia has very much taught me to practice in everything I do today."
Top// Caramelised sugar, cinnamon dust
Mid// Nutmeg, clove
Base// Vanilla, honey
500ml of fragrant room spray. Just squeeze the trigger.
Empty? CONTACT US to arrange a reload.
- Turn the gun's nozzle from the 'off' position to the 'spray' position;
ROOM SPRAY CARE
Failure to follow these instructions could result in fire, hazard or injury.
- Do not spray close to flames;
- Keep of reach of children and animals;
- Do not spray close to things that can catch fire;
- Do not spray near on or near varnished surfaces;
- Large spills should be cleaned up immediately to avoid staining or stripping of finishes;
- Avoid contact with eyes and skin;
- Do not ingest fragrance;
- In case of accidental consumption, please contact Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.